Monday, July 24, 2017

Mission and Gratitude

As a result of looking at so many "ideal" libraries I have become obsessed with decoration. I have been canvassing Job Lot and Target looking for inexpensive ways to bring more kid friendly color to my blue/green library. I don't want to allocate any library funds to decorations, so I am trying to do this on my own and on the cheap, but I think that my recent obsession with color may have something to do with my fear of taking over the library and therefore I'm subconsciously looking for something easy and tangible to do --instant gratification! Although I now know how important color and furnishing are to the library, I also know they are the least of my problems right now and maybe I ought to be concentrating on more weighty matters. 


I am simultaneously working on a vision project for my Library Media Centers class which will include a mission statement, budget, assessment instrument, and library advisory plan and a presentation about my ideal school library; a virtual learning commons for my Instructional Design class; and I'm trying to get to know the space and collection I will be inheriting. I am a little overwhelmed, so decorating seems like a pretty easy and light way to distract myself from all of the other important work. I'm also incredibly grateful. 

The work that I have been doing in my classes and the conversations that I have been having with other students, most of whom have library experience, are making me so grateful to be in a community that supports our schools and our library. I am so fortunate to be following someone who has built such a strong program and collection, although she left so little room for improvement that it's intimating.  

In thinking about the mission of the CRMS school library I considered our demographics and our community. I emailed the superintendent and principal. I looked at the vision statement and core values of the school and I also reread (for the 1 millionth time) the American Association of School Librarians Standards for the 21st Century Learner. I tried to capture the spirit of joy that we work so hard to create in our school, but also keep it short and easy to remember and post. This is where I am right now with my draft:

Mission Statement:
The Camden Rockport Middle School Library is a collaborative learning commons where:
inquiry provides a framework for academic and personal pursuit.
resources enrich the curriculum empowering students and teachers.
students and teachers work together to test multiple solutions to authentic problems.
imagination, creativity, and joy live.


I am still working on how to wedge the word "inspire" in there.  Maybe "inquiry inspires academic and personal pursuit", or "Resources enrich the curriculum inspiring students and teachers" or "imagination, inspiration, and joy live".... 

I'll keep at it, but I'll also keep thinking of ways to decorate on the cheap!



References


Camden-Rockport Middle School - School Profile. (2017). Fivetowns.net. Retrieved 21 July 2017, from http://www.fivetowns.net/crms/crmsprofile.cfm


Standards for the 21st Century Learner. (2017). Chicago. Retrieved from http://www.ala.org/aasl/standards.



No comments:

Post a Comment