Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Rules, Rules, Rules

I come from a small island with no law enforcement which loves its reputation as a place that doesn't play by the rules, so I was intrigued by my classmate Kathlyn Delang's blog post about rules in the library:  https://ischoolblogs.sjsu.edu/info/kdelang/2017/06/18/learning-journal-musings-1/. Her post was inspired by her reading of Anne Ruefle's article Rules of Reading. Kathlyn wonders "why do we encourage reading at a young age, but then put limits on it? " 

That seemed pretty reasonable to me, so I picked up our library guide to see how many books students in the CRMS library were allowed. 

Circulation:

Students may check out as many books as they “need” for fifteen school days. These may be renewed if the student brings the book to me to do so, unless the book has been reserved by another student or staff member. Students are expected to treat books, the library, staff, and other students with respect. Staff have unlimited borrowing privileges, so come on down! (Foss, 2017)

Phew, that looks pretty welcoming!

I am taking over for someone who grew "the library from 3,000 volumes, 8 chairs, 2 tables, and no computers in a basement room in the MET building to a much more comfortable and welcoming space and book collection located in the middle of the school. Currently we have about 53 seats at 18 tables and nearly 19,000 volumes. " (Foss, 2017) 

I am so scared of ruining what she has created, so when I read Kathlyn's post I thought, "I want to throw out the rules too, but what will happen? Will I ruin what Kathy has created?" Luckily for me as in so many other instances, Kathy was way ahead of me - Library saved! Limits be damned!

References 
Delang, Kathlyn. (2017). Learning Journal Musings #1. Blog. https://ischoolblogs.sjsu.edu/info/kdelang/2017/06/18/learning-journal-musings-1/

Foss, Kathy (2017). For New Teachers and Staff in Running the Library. https://docs.google.com/document/d/15DuW4JQrmLBPpGzOGO8lw8tXhxatoXmxynIDyQ9UXpk/edit


Ruefle, Anne E. (2011). Rules or reading? LMC, 29(6), 34-35.

No comments:

Post a Comment